The man being called a hero after Sunday’s deadly shooting in Australia is still recovering from serious injuries, but according to his lawyer, he says he would do it all again. Ahmed al Ahmed, a 44-year-old Muslim father and Australian citizen, was wounded after he allegedly wrestled a gun away from one of the shooters involved in what officials are calling a brutal antisemitic terror attack. The incident, which took place on the first day of Hanukkah, left at least 15 people dead and many more injured.
Al Ahmed’s migration lawyer, Sam Issa, spoke to The Sydney Morning Herald after visiting him in the hospital. “He doesn’t regret what he did. He said he’d do it again,” Issa said. “But the pain has started to take a toll on him. He’s not well at all. He’s riddled with bullets. Our hero is struggling at the moment.”
According to Issa, al Ahmed wasn’t looking for recognition or attention. He wasn’t trying to make headlines. He simply acted in a moment of chaos, driven by instinct and a deep sense of responsibility to protect the people around him. “Ahmed’s a humble man, he’s not interested in coverage, he just did what he was compelled to do as a human being on that day,” Issa said.
Al Ahmed came to Australia from Syria in 2006, escaping the violence of his home country. After years of living and working in Australia, he officially became a citizen in 2022. He now has two young daughters, ages five and six. His lawyer said that his actions were not only brave but were also deeply tied to his gratitude for being welcomed into Australian society.
“He gets that gratitude from being in Australia. This is his way of conveying his gratitude for staying in Australia, for being granted citizenship,” Issa said. “He has really appreciated this community, and he felt that as a member of the community, he had to act that way and contribute.”
The full details of the attack are still under investigation, but what is known so far has shaken the country. Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese called the shooting “an act of pure evil,” saying the attackers deliberately targeted Jewish people at a time of celebration. “This was antisemitism. This was terrorism,” he said during a press conference.
Authorities have not yet released full information on the suspects, and there is still no official confirmation of how many individuals may have been involved. Reports indicate that multiple shooters may have coordinated the attack, but the motive is believed to have been religious hatred, specifically aimed at the Jewish community.
Ahmad Al Ahmed saved the lives of many Australians without caring for his own life.🫡#bondibeach #bondiattack #bondibeachsydney #Australia pic.twitter.com/nL2Xt3weJA
— Nawazish Ahmad (@Ibn_Ahmad_01) December 15, 2025
For many Australians, Ahmed al Ahmed’s story has become one of hope and courage in the middle of a horrifying tragedy. It’s a reminder that acts of terror often bring out the worst in people — but sometimes, they also bring out the best.
As the country continues to mourn those lost, tributes have poured in for al Ahmed and others who risked their lives trying to stop the violence. Many are calling for his medical treatment to be fully covered and for formal recognition of his actions.
As of now, al Ahmed remains in the hospital, recovering from multiple gunshot wounds. But according to those who know him, his spirit remains strong — and so does his belief in the country he now calls home.

