Actress Cate Blanchett Upset ‘MeToo’ Is Over

Date:

Share:

Cate Blanchett says she’s frustrated by how quickly the momentum behind the #MeToo movement faded in Hollywood, telling an audience at the Cannes Film Festival that meaningful change around gender equality still feels painfully slow.

Speaking in France this week, the Australian actor said she’s long been outspoken about the issue but feels many conversations around women’s experiences have been “shut down.”

“It got killed very quickly, which I think is interesting,” Blanchett said.

“There are a lot of people with platforms who are able to speak up with relative safety and say, ‘This has happened to me’. And the so-called average woman on the street, person on the street, is saying ‘me too’. Why does that get shut down?”

Blanchett, 57, said the imbalance remains obvious on film sets.

“I’m still on film sets and I do the headcount every day. There’s 10 women and there’s 75 men every morning,” she said.

“I love men, but what happens is the jokes become the same. You just have to brace yourself slightly, and I’m used to that, but it just gets boring for everybody when you walk into a homogeneous workplace.”

Her comments echo concerns she raised years earlier at Cannes. In 2018, while serving as president of the festival jury, Blanchett led a protest on the red carpet alongside 81 women. The number symbolized the total female directors selected for Cannes competition since the festival began. During the same period, 1,866 male directors had been chosen.

Julianne Moore shared similar thoughts during a Women in Motion event at Cannes over the weekend. Moore recalled working on sets as recently as 2016 where women were almost entirely absent behind the camera.

“I can remember being on a set not too long ago where the only women were me and the third AC [assistant camera],” she said.

“It’s when Hillary Clinton lost the election, and we were both devastated. And I said, ‘Look around the room. We’re the only ones here.’”

Moore said things have improved somewhat, with more women now working on crews, but added that it was rare to see that kind of representation earlier in her career.

The #MeToo movement was originally started in 2006 by activist Tarana Burke to support survivors of sexual violence. It became a global movement in 2017 after actor Alyssa Milano encouraged people to share their experiences using the hashtag on social media.

BreitBart

Subscribe to our magazine

━ more like this

Harry And Meghan’s Movie Falls Short At Box Office

Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, have spent years trying to turn their fame into a successful entertainment brand. Their latest project, however,...

The Real Story Behind That Pivotal Poll For LA Mayor

Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass has found herself in an embarrassing situation after promoting a poll that was later revealed to be completely fabricated. The...

WNBA Responds To How Mother And Daughter Were Treated

The WNBA found itself dealing with another controversy after two fans at Sunday night’s game between the Indiana Fever and Atlanta Dream said they...

Mayor Accused Of Theft Won’t Answer Media Questions

Lawrence Mayor Brian DePena is facing federal charges after prosecutors accused him of using more than $1.5 million in pandemic-era business relief money for...

NYC Police Neutralize Man On Cleaver Rampage

A 54-year-old man was shot and killed by New York City police Sunday afternoon after authorities say he attacked his elderly father with a...
spot_img

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here