FBI Trainee Fired Over Pride Flag Files Federal Lawsuit

Date:

Share:

A longtime FBI employee who was weeks away from completing special agent training is suing the bureau after being abruptly fired for displaying a Pride flag at his workspace.

According to The Associated Press, a federal lawsuit filed on Wednesday in Washington, D.C., states that 16-year FBI veteran David Maltinsky was dismissed last month after officials deemed the flag an “inappropriate display of political signage.”

Maltinsky, who previously worked as an intelligence specialist in the Los Angeles field office, had recently been pursuing his lifelong goal of becoming a special agent.

The lawsuit says Maltinsky had been given the “Progress Pride” flag in 2021 after it was taken down from outside the Los Angeles field office. The flag features the familiar rainbow stripes alongside a chevron of additional colors representing LGBTQ+ people and communities of color.

Maltinsky displayed it at his workstation in Los Angeles with his supervisors’ permission, the filing states.

In April, Maltinsky began the FBI Academy’s 19-week special agent training program in Quantico, Virginia. He had completed 16 weeks when he was summoned to a meeting, handed a dismissal letter signed by Director Kash Patel, and told he was being removed from the program effective immediately.

The lawsuit notes that Maltinsky had helped lead diversity initiatives during his FBI career. It also references President Donald Trump’s January executive order that eliminated all diversity, equity, and inclusion programs across the federal government.

Maltinsky is suing Patel, the FBI, Attorney General Pam Bondi, and the Justice Department. He is seeking reinstatement, as well as a court declaration that his First Amendment speech rights and Fifth Amendment equal protection rights were violated.

“This case is about far more than one man’s career — it’s about whether the government can punish Americans simply for saying who they are,” Maltinsky’s attorney, Christopher M. Mattei, said in a statement, calling the firing an unlawful attack.

The FBI declined to comment, and the Justice Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The lawsuit comes as the bureau faces other internal challenges. In September, three high-ranking officials filed suit alleging they were pushed out in a “campaign of retribution” driven by political pressure during President Trump’s second term.

IJRIJR

Subscribe to our magazine

━ more like this

Mayor Accused Of Theft Won’t Answer Media Questions

Lawrence Mayor Brian DePena is facing federal charges after prosecutors accused him of using more than $1.5 million in pandemic-era business relief money for...

NYC Police Neutralize Man On Cleaver Rampage

A 54-year-old man was shot and killed by New York City police Sunday afternoon after authorities say he attacked his elderly father with a...

Trump Unhappy With SCOTUS Response To His Petition

The Supreme Court has rejected President Donald Trump’s request to reconsider its decision not to hear his appeal in the civil case brought by...

Voters Signal Hollywood Stars And Politics Don’t Mix

After years of high-profile endorsements, campaign appearances, social media posts, and celebrity-packed rallies, a new report suggests some entertainers are reconsidering whether publicly backing...

Former Marine Freed In Rare Kremlin Compromise

Former U.S. Marine Robert Gilman has been released from Russian custody after spending more than four years in detention, bringing an end to a...
spot_img

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here